1 1/2 Tbs Olive oil
3 Medium onions, sliced
1 Garlic clove, crushed
700 g (1 1/2 lb) Tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 Tbs Tomato puree (paste)
1/2 tsp Dried oregano
1 Bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 kg (1 lb) Potatoes, cut into 1 cm (1/2 in) wide strips
900 ml (1 1/2 pints) 3 3/4 cups Fish stock
1 x 3 kg (6 1b) Conger eel, cleaned and cut into 5 cm (2 in) steaks
1 tsp Ground coriander
2 Tbs Finely chopped parsley
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add
the onions and garlic and fry until they are soft.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree (paste), oregano, bay leaf and seasoning and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the potatoes and fish stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer the soup for 20 minutes.
4. Stir in the eel steaks and coriander. Recover and simmer for a further 12 minutes, or until the eel flesh flakes easily, and the potatoes are cooked and tender.
5. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
6. Transfer the soup to a warmed tureen, sprinkle over the parsley and serve at once.
This recipe is from How To Cook Fish - http://www.howtocookfish.info