350 g (12 oz) cod fillet, skinned and cut
into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml medium sweet cider
1 lb (450 g) potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
25 g (1 oz) margarine
3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz flour
2 oz (50 g) cheese, grated
2 tomatoes, sliced
1. Put the cod cubes in a baking dish and
pour over the cider.
2. Cover with a sheet of greased greaseproof paper and bake in a preheated moderate oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for about 30 minutes or until the fish will flake easily.
3. Drain the cider from the dish and reserve. Keep the fish hot.
4. Melt the margarine in a saucepan and add the flour.
5. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then gradually stir in the reserved cider.
6. Bring to the boil and simmer, still stirring, until thickened. Season with a little salt.
7. Spoon or pipe the mashed potato around the edge of a flameproof serving dish and put the fish in the centre.
8. Pour over the sauce. Sprinkle with the cheese and garnish with the tomato slices.
9. Brown in a preheated moderately hot oven 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 for 15 minutes or under the grill.
This recipe is from How To Cook Fish - http://www.howtocookfish.info