2 barramundi, about 450 g (1 lb) in total
15 ml (1 tbsp) cornflour
45 ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
175 g (6 oz) Chinese chives
15 ml (1 tbsp) Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
5 ml (1 tsp) caster sugar
salt and ground black pepper
Chinese chives with flowerheads, to garnish
1. Remove the scales from the barramundi
by scraping them with the back of a knife, working from the tail end towards the
head end. Fillet the fish.
2. Cut the fillets into large chunks and dust them lightly with cornflour, salt and pepper.
3. Heat 30 ml (2 tbsp) of the oil in a preheated wok. When the oil is hot, toss the chunks of fish in the wok briefly to seal, then set aside. Wipe out the wok with kitchen paper.
4. Cut the Chinese chives into 5 cm ( 2 in) lengths and discard the flowers.
5. Reheat the wok and add the remaining oil, then stir-fry the Chinese chives for 30 seconds.
6. Add the fish and rice wine or dry sherry, then bring to the boil and stir in the sugar.
7. Serve hot, garnished with some flowering Chinese chives
This recipe is from How To Cook Fish - http://www.howtocookfish.info